Sunday, May 12, 2024

my poem that appeared in THE DILLYDOUN REVIEW


 


THE DISTANT LEFTOVER

You with your constant smell of indifference

And I so hungry for even a sweet side glance. 


But it was not to happen. 

Maybe it was fate on the snowy evening I sailed

Away from you: 

The last night I entered that ferry

The same ferry that always took me back to you

Because I was seduced by silly things

That never mattered. 


I must have looked so crumbled, so forlorn,

That a nun stopped reading the Bible and moved 

To sit closer to me, to give me comfort 

And solace… and she did. 


As I drifted the waters to reach my home

You disappeared and grew smaller in every way 

Possible, so in many of my later years you 

Became a blurred washed memory.


And after a great time, when my forgotten passion 

Surfaced and took hold of me,

When the longing that once lived inside of me

Cornered my thoughts and turned you into a rumination,

I tried to find you.


But you were gone. 

Really gone.

And there was a heavy stillness in my place. 

On cold nights, I remembered the ferry and

All I could hear was the nun,

The nun who so many years ago told me:

“You will still be here

In the morning.”  


© Marjorie J. Levine 2020

No comments: