Monday, April 23, 2012

Nathan Wasserberger, painter

 

Nathan Wasserberger, 1928 - 2012 



from 2009:

I met Nathan Wasserberger at the Citigroup Center in about 2006... when I joined a group that met there every day for a late breakfast. The gathering consisted of mostly retired men who had worked in film. And sometimes we even had dinner together at the Columbus Circle Whole Foods... and that is where I met Rudy, whose family were the founders of the Subway sandwich shops.

I was going to interview Nathan Wasserberger for this blog on Wednesday, April 15th. He called a few days before that date to cancel the interview and told me that he wanted to postpone for a month our project because he had some unfinished business. He said he wanted to remain in touch and work it out.

It is now October, and I am very disappointed that this much anticipated interview did not happen as planned. Nathan Wasserberger has not contacted me to pursue an interview and while we did speak today on the phone, it appears an interview will not happen.

With good intentions, I post these paintings done by Mr. Wasserberger. You can learn a bit more about Nathan Wasserberger here. Nathan told me "literature lasts forever." And so does the impeccable and magnificent beauty of his work. Many of Nathan Wasserberger's color plates of his paintings are in the permanent archives of American Art in the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC.

"Sandra," 1957

"Old Man," 1964

"Girl in White Robe," 1982

Nathan Wasserberger is aware that his paintings appear at this blog.


The artist Nathan Wasserberger was born on June 24, 1928 in Chrzanow, Poland, and he died on April 23, 2012, in New York City.

This is Chrzanow, Poland:






 Nathan Wasserberger's obituary




1 comment:

EE Green said...

Thank you for re-posting this Marjorie. I made a tribute wall to Nathan on: www.facebook.com/nathanwasserberger

I would appreciate anyone who wants to know about him and his work to "Like" this page.

He was a great friend. We kept in touch over 38 years.

Thanks,

Elena