Friday, June 2, 2023

INTO THE BEST GOOD FIGHTS I EVER KNEW



During my long teaching career, I took on the NYC Board of Education several times. There were many principals who went after teachers for reasons that had nothing to do with competence. It was an abuse of power and many teachers know about that nightmare. 

The first big fight was in 1988 and it was regarding a few letters about me for my file written by a vindictive principal whose entire assertions were not factual, and were irrational, totally illogical, and without merit. 

The UFT thwarted my grievance against the principal's unfair and inaccurate letters about me after I lost at Step 2. I appealed that decision to not pursue this issue because I was determined to go all the way to fight the absurd allegations. I presented my case at an appeal process and I was granted the right to go further. We went to Step 3. 

I was strong and I would not be stopped. I was going to go the distance and fight like Rocky to the bitter end and remain standing like my life depended on it. I was on fire. 

I gathered all the documentation that I needed and presented my case to the NYC Department of Education like F. Lee Bailey fighting for the appeal of Sam Sheppard. I went the distance. And I won!




That same principal wrote up another teacher for daring to drink milk and walking around with two handbags on her arm!





A few years later I was told that principal who tried to railroad me was removed from the school in handcuffs. Go figure.  


And years later, I had the distinction of being perhaps the only teacher who after retirement continued to fight another injustice. It was the right thing to do. And I won. Again.







No comments: