Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Nathan Wasserberger, painter


Nathan Wasserberger (1928-2012) was a Jewish American artist who was known for his portrait paintings. He was from Cherznow, Poland, and he survived the Holocaust. He emigrated to the US in 1946 or 1947. Nathan Wasserberger's paintings are in the Archives and Special Collections of the Smithsonian American Art Museum in Washington, D.C. He lived in NYC.


I was going to interview Nathan Wasserberger for this blog on Wednesday, April 15th 2009. He called a few days before that date to cancel the interview and told me that he wanted to postpone our "project" for a month because he had some unfinished business. He asked if I would visit him after his business was resolved and go through some of his material with him... and he also asked me if I would consider writing "his book." He said he wanted to remain in touch and work it out. 


May 2009: I am very disappointed that this much anticipated interview will not happen as planned. However, as Nathan said: "literature lasts forever."


It is now October 2009, and Nathan Wasserberger has not contacted me to pursue an interview or a book. With good intentions, I post these paintings done by Mr. Wasserberger and hope that my readers appreciate the beauty of his work and search the internet to learn more about him.

a short bio of Nathan Wasserberger

"Sandra," 1957


"Old Man," 1964


"Girl in White Robe," 1982



No comments: