Saturday, March 18, 2023

LIMERENCE 1


Why am I feeling all this great emotion?


Perhaps I am thinking of poor Mary, 

Moving away after so long living

In a quietly familiar and convenient place. 

Mary, audibly rocking and rocking in the 

Same chair above me as she aged into invisibility…

And soon I too will leave this same place.


For how long did I live with illusions, 

Locking away all transitory possibilities 

And realities and choosing instead to 

Dwell inside mercurial fantasies and 

Interior delusions and then grounding a still life?


Now the fading obstacles hardly matter.

The grey heavy details carved and set in stones 

Have been kicked away by newer shades 

Of sharp pastels that do not even belong 

To me in my particular smallness.


Fog is moving in from the Hudson River,

Passing over yesterday and all the 

Layered stories and everything 

That came… before.


Marjorie J. Levine © March 18, 2023



No comments: