Saturday, March 18, 2023

TWO POEMS FROM ROAD TRIPS



from ROAD TRIPS, poems


SHIPWRECKED

I remembered the silence within the 

One turn… the turn at the corner that I 

Believed would flatter my possibilities

And point me in a different direction.


But at the end of each day, I crossed the 

Finish line at no particular extraordinary 

Place: I was suspended in space where a 

Past hardly mattered, where on new days 

I bent to the bricks on roads that struggled 

To keep me going. 

 

All avenues had narrow lanes

With no wiggle room and allowed for 

No deep different dives.


So I went this way, went that way

Many times knitting elixirs 

In grey attics so I could

Navigate bridges

Drive through a tunnel

Take a train passing a river

Live in solitary confinement 

Or get lost at sea and not feel abandoned.


When I reached the end, I finally 

Understood nothing mattered:

Not my angers, not the songs I sang 

Or my spoken words, or my written words 

Scrawled like graffiti on the toilet wall. 


It was only the distant sound of 

A lover’s heart still beating

That always should have 

Brought me home. 


Marjorie J. Levine © 2020



THE WAY HE LOOKED AT HER


I have lived my entire life

Within my own head, consumed 

With possibilities but never catching 

That brass ring.


I went close to so many rocky borders

But never took chances 

Or crossed any dangerous lines. 


I danced with strangers at sock hops

And later passed through 

Usual stages:

I dated this guy, went out with that guy,

Picked up guys at bars,

Wore boyfriend shirts,

And as the decades rolled by

I clung to unusual stages:

Developing crushes on men 

Who did not even give me a side glance.


I rolled along this way or that way

And let time pass quickly under

No remarkable relationship umbrella. 


It was just the way it was:

Some just fall through 

The romance cracks. 


But as I aged, my pages

Were showing sharper glimpses of 

What eluded me. 


The strong wind knocked something

Over and when I looked through the 

Window and saw under a street light

The way he was looking at her, 

I realized life had passed me by. 


Marjorie J. Levine © 2020






No comments: