Thursday, April 27, 2023

LIMERENCE

 


LIMERENCE


Why am I feeling all this great emotion?


Perhaps I am thinking of poor Mary,


Moving away after so long living


In a quietly familiar and convenient place.


Mary, audibly rocking and rocking in the


Same chair above me as she aged into invisibility…


And soon I too will leave this same place.


For how long did I live with illusions,


Locking away all transitory possibilities


And realities and choosing instead to


Dwell inside mercurial fantasies and


Interior delusions and then grounding a still life?


Now the fading obstacles hardly matter.


The grey heavy details carved and set in stones


Have been kicked away by newer shades


Of sharp pastels that do not even belong


To me in my particular smallness.


Fog is moving in from the Hudson River,


Passing over yesterday and all the


Layered stories and everything


That came… before.


© Marjorie J. Levine 2023

No comments: